Children in their t-shirts head toward the new clinic
The Hilux pickup truck promotes clean water
Sand for filters is loaded onto the Hilux, our indispensable "donkey"
New water filters with The Clean Water Company labels
The chiefs agreed that their villages would make all the bricks needed for the construction of the new building for Malweil School. The bricks would be used to purchase about 200 biosand water filters made by the production team of The Clean Water Company at their facility in Panlang.
The chiefs also agreed to provide the labour for the construction of the school. The Construction Committee of Volunteers was established and began work making bricks. It was also agreed that village women would form a committee to provide food and water for workers during construction. A youth committee was formed to carry out work such as loading and unloading bricks, construction materials, tools and supplies.
On February 18, William met with the state minister of agriculture to discuss the possibility of the ministry supplying timbers for roofing and other materials at a reduced cost. The minister agreed to provide discounts on all supplies purchased from the ministry.
By mid-February many bricks had already been made and more than 30 water filters had been manufactured and distributed.
According to William, the villagers are very excited about the mutually beneficial project and are looking forward to getting clean water from the filters. They are, he reported, 99% committed to the project. He is, no doubt, working to convince the remaining 1%.